Insurance Attorneys With Over
50 Years Of Combined Experience

How should homeowners address leaks in their home?

On Behalf of | Apr 9, 2024 | Property Damage Insurance Claims |

Homeowners insurance is meant to protect a homeowner from having to cover the often exorbitant costs of catastrophes that can affect a home. While some people might think of major damage, such as that from hurricanes or fires, there are some smaller issues that can lead to reasons one might want to file a home insurance claim.

Consider leaks in the home, which can cause water damage, for example. This coverage is vastly different than what’s covered by flood insurance. If you have a leak in your home, it’s important to take steps to mitigate the damages.

Stopping the leak immediately

The first thing you have to do when you discover a leak in the home is determine what’s causing it and stop the leak. This can mean having to turn the water off if the issue is a burst pipe or covering a hole that’s letting water into the home. It might be necessary to contact a professional to determine where the leak is coming from. Ideally, you’ll do this as quickly as possible after you notice something is amiss because considerable damage can occur if a leak is ignored.

Cleaning up the water thoroughly

Once the leak is stopped, you’ll need to remove the standing water. For smaller leaks, a towel or mop might work. For larger leaks, a wet/dry vacuum might be the best option. Water extraction units might be necessary for huge leaks, such as a basement full of standing water. After the standing water is removed, you may need to use a fan or dehumidifier to get some of the moisture out of the air. This can help to prevent further damage from occurring.

Checking for and addressing mold growth

Mold can become a significant concern after you have a water leak in your home. Monitoring the area for signs of mold is critical. This will often appear as surface discoloration or dark spots. Seeing mold requires immediate action. Many cases of mold can’t be addressed using readily available chemicals. Instead, you’ll need a professional mode remediation specialist to handle the task.

Filing a claim with your homeowners’ insurance company is likely possible. You may need to fight for the payment you’re due for the situation, so working with a legal professional may help you to uphold your rights in circumstances like these.